Samapriya Roy Github Projects: github.com/samapriya Github Site: samapriya.github.io Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samapriya/ City: Raleigh email: firstname.lastname@example.org last updated: 23rd February 2020
Research Specialization and Interest
Remote Sensing and GIS, Urban systems,patterns and hydrology, Land Change Science
|Degree||University||Year||Research Interest or Thesis|
|PhD Geography||Indiana University||2019||Thesis: Delta Dynamics: Understanding Process, Pattern, and People Using Remote Sensing and Systems Analysis in Coastal Louisiana and Amazon River Delta|
|MS Earth Sciences||Indiana University||2013||Thesis: Remote sensing & GIS applications for drainage detection and Modeling in agricultural watersheds|
|B.Tech Civil Engineering||VNIT||2010||Thesis: Social Network Analysis for Mapping Segmented Growth in Urban Cities in India.|
- Extensive experience with Google Earth Engine, ESRI ArcGIS, ERDAS IMAGINE, ENVI.
- Experience with QGIS, eCognition, MATLAB, Fragstats, Patch Analyst, SPSS, QUAL2Kw, SocNetV, Expert Choice 2000, GRASS, ILWIS.
- October 2019- present: Customer and Researcher Engagement & Senior Solutions Engineer,Planet Labs
End to end design of customer solutions and engagement while working towards overall goals and milestones. Responsibilities include but are not limited to i) championing Planet’s customer products and offerings in-person and via online assistance, by presenting at conferences, writing technical tutorials, and publishing articles and videos. ii) Building tools, demos and sample applications, and continuously improving the applications that customers and developers experience using Planet’s APIs and analytics endpoints. iii) Identifying strategic partnership opportunities and growing Planet’s customer base and research community across multiple scales, domain expertise, and applications. Influencing the direction of Planet’s developer products and offerings by gathering insights from customer engagement and the developer community. iv) interacting and engaging with users in Planet’s Education and Research program to source novel customer applications and unique insights.
- December 2018- September 2019: Customer and Researcher Engagement and Solutions Engineer,Planet Labs
Responsibilities include but are not limited to i) championing Planet’s customer products and offerings in-person and via online assistance, by presenting at conferences, writing technical tutorials, and publishing articles and videos. ii) Building tools, demos and sample applications, and continuously improving the applications that customers and developers experience using Planet’s APIs and analytics endpoints. iii) Identifying strategic partnership opportunities and growing Planet’s customer base and research community across multiple scales, domain expertise, and applications. Influencing the direction of Planet’s developer products and offerings by gathering insights from customer engagement and the developer community. iv) interacting and engaging with users in Planet’s Education and Research program to source novel customer applications and unique insights.
- May 2018- September 2018: Senior Developer Advocate Intern, Planet Labs
Responsibilites include Growing and supporting Planet’s technical user communities and developing new analytical tools and tutorials. Teaching workshops and delivering conference talks to technologists in academic communities and to developers in the geospatial and cloud industries. Collaborating on remote sensing science, including primary research on the evolution, geomorphology, and long-term welfare of the world’s coastal ecosystems.
- January 2018- May 2018: Developer Advocate Intern, Planet Labs
Responsibilities include growing and supporting user communities for Planet’s Developer Center and the Education and Research Program.Developing new analytical tools, tutorials, and workshops for technical users of Planet data and tools.
- 2017-2018: Research Assistant, Indiana University funded by National Science Foundation(NSF)
Coastal SEES Collaborative Research: Changes in actual and perceived coastal flood risks due to river management strategies (NSF: 1426997). Partner-PI. National Science Foundation. Responsible for looking at land loss models and remote sensing application to coastal land loss. Includes model building and assessment along with hydrological model based vulnerability assessment of same area looking at landscape pattern and progress.
- 2015-2016: Research Assistant, Indiana University funded by Deltas Belmont Forum and National Science Foundation(NSF)
Catalyzing action towards sustainability of deltaic systems with an integrated modeling framework for risk assessment (DELTAS: 1342946). Partner-PI. National Science Foundation, Belmont Forum. Partner PI [International collaborative network of 24 institutions] (2015-2016) Responsible for looking at physical models of vulnerability and risk assessment in deltaic areas and among populated regions within Brazil. Includes model building and assessment along with hydrological model based vulnerability assessment of same area.
- 2013-2014: Reseach Assistant , Indiana University funded by National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA: NNX11AF50G) (01/01/2013–12/31/2014) Carbon Dynamics, Land Cover Change, and Vulnerability of the World's Largest Coastal Mangrove Ecosystem to Climate Change, with Dr. Rinku Roy Chowdhury. Responsibilities includes review of existing datasets and literature. Evaluation of existing LULC classes using Landsat ETM+, and Geoeye classified raster datasets. Assessment of existing census and socio ecological data.
- 2013-2015: Research Assistant, Indiana University funded by National Science Foundation(NSF)
National Science Foundation (NSF: 1065785) (07/01/2013–06/30/2015). Collaborative Research: Ecological Homogenization of Urban America, with Dr. Rinku Roy Chowdhury Responsibilities include analysis of land cover data at census block group and parcel levels using landscape metrics and analysis of land cover heterogeneity or homogeneity at both levels. This includes developing batch models for running large datasets and creating consistent data and analytical output for all 6 urban sites in the project.
- 2011-2012: Research Assistant, Indiana University Purdue University at Indinapolis funded by United States Department of Agriculture & Natural Resource Conservation(USDA & NRCS)
United States Department of Agriculture & Natural Resource Conservation (USDA & NRCS: 68-52KY-11-058) project for Creating and Automating Potential Polygon location and Site Characterization for Upland Storage in Watersheds, using Arc Map. A CTI (Compound Topographic Index) based Toolbox was developed using Model Builder (® ESRI) as a part of project deliverables to automate location of these potential sites. (September 2011- August 2012)
- January 2011-June 2011: Research Assistant, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) funder by Ministry of Environment and Forests
Research Associate with Water Resource Management Group at IIT Kanpur, for the Ganga River Basin Management Plan (GRBMP), under Ministry of Environment and Forests Responsibilities: Included assessment of the hydrology of the Upper Ganga Basin and working on flow simulation and scenario development for flow calculation. Organization: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, January to June 2011.
- June 2010- August 2010: Research Intern at Risk Management Solution India (RMSI)
Research Intern at the Core Geospatial and Utilities(CGO) business Unit Responsibilities at Risk Management Solution in India (RMSI), Dehradun: Created a characteristic model called SMCPM (Scenario Modeling with Catchment Priority Model) which utilizes the SCN method accompanied with SMART and MAUT utilization for user based criterion input and priority output. 22nd June to 21st August 2010 \newpage
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Roy, S., L. Yoder, V.M. Dias, E. Brondizio. Spatial Clustering using Multiplex Geo-constrained Networks in Amazon River Delta In Preparation
Roy, S., D. A. Edmonds, S. Robeson, A. C. Ortiz. “Decadal Changes in Mississippi Delta Morphology: Analyzing Landscape Patterns using Satellite Time Series Data” In preparation
Caldwell, R. L., Edmonds, D. A., Baumgardner, S., Paola, C., Roy, S., & Nienhuis, J. H. (2019). A global delta dataset and the environmental variables that predict delta formation on marine coastlines. Earth Surface Dynamics, 7(3), 773-787. link
Ortiz, A. C., S. Roy, and D. A. Edmonds (2017), Land loss by pond expansion on the Mississippi River Delta Plain, Geophys. Res. Lett., 44, doi:10.1002/2017GL073079.link
Mansur, A. V., Brondizio, E. S., Roy, S., Soares, P. P. D. M. A., & Newton, A. (2018). Adapting to urban challenges in the Amazon: flood risk and infrastructure deficiencies in Belém, Brazil. Regional Environmental Change, 18(5), 1411-1426. link
Mansur, A. V., Brondízio, E. S., Roy, S., Hetrick, S., Vogt, N. D., & Newton, A. (2016). An assessment of urban vulnerability in the Amazon Delta and Estuary: a multi-criterion index of flood exposure, socio-economic conditions and infrastructure. Sustainability Science, 11(4), 625-643. link
Roy, S., & Katpatal, Y. B. (2011). Cyclical Hierarchical Modeling for Water Quality Model–Based DSS Module in an Urban River System. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 137(12), 1176-1184. link
Open Source Tools & Products
Samapriya Roy. (2018, October 6). samapriya/satadd: satadd: CLI pipeline for Planet, Satellogic, Google Earth Engine and Digital Globe Imagery (Version 0.0.3). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1450622
Samapriya Roy. (2018, October 4). samapriya/pygbdx: pygbdx: Simple CLI for GBDX (Version 0.0.2). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1445734
Samapriya Roy. (2018, September 22). samapriya/Planet-Mosaic-Quads-Download-CLI: Planet Mosaic Quads Download CLI (Version 0.0.4). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1432872
Samapriya Roy. (2018, August 12). samapriya/geeup: geeup: Simple CLI for Earth Engine Uploads (Version 0.0.3). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1344130
Samapriya Roy. (2018, July 31). samapriya/gee2drive: gee2drive: Google Earth Engine to Drive Export Manager (Version 0.0.5). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.132447
Samapriya Roy. (2018, July 23). samapriya/pydrop: pydrop: Minimal Python Client for Digital Ocean Droplets (Version 0.0.2). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1319799
Google Earth Engine Account Transfer Tool,Samapriya Roy. (2018, February 27). samapriya/gee-takeout: Google Earth Engine Account Transfer Tool (Version 0.1). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1185158
Clip-Ship-Planet-CLI,Samapriya Roy. (2017, December 20). samapriya/Clip-Ship-Planet-CLI: Clip-Ship-Batch Planet Command Line Interface (Version 0.2.1). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1119192
Slack-Notifier-CLI-Addon,Samapriya Roy. (2017, September 5). samapriya/Slack-Notifier-CLI-Addon: Slack Notifier-CLI Addon (Version 0.1.0). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.885505
Planet-GEE-Pipeline-CLI,Samapriya Roy. (2018, March 8). samapriya/Planet-GEE-Pipeline-CLI: Planet-GEE-Pipeline-CLI (Version 0.2.1). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1194323
Planet-GEE-Pipeline-GUI,Samapriya Roy. (2017, June 25). samapriya/Planet-GEE-Pipeline-GUI: Planet-GEE-Pipeline-GUI (Version 0.1.4). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.817739
Planet-Pipeline-GUI,Samapriya Roy. (2017, August 17). samapriya/Planet-Pipeline-GUI: Planet-Pipeline-GUI (Version 0.3). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.844149 GEE Asset Manager Addons,Samapriya Roy. (2018, March 8). samapriya/gee_asset_manager_addon: GEE Asset Manager with Addons (Version 0.2.3). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1194308
ArcMap Addons,Samapriya Roy. (2017, October 12). samapriya/arcmap-addons: ArcMap Addons (Version 0.2). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1009210 ArcticDEM-Batch-Pipeline,Samapriya Roy. (2018, May 3). samapriya/ArcticDEM-Batch-Pipeline: ArcticDEM-Batch-Pipeline (Version 0.1.2). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1240456
Jetstream-Unofficial-addon,Samapriya Roy. (2018, March 12). samapriya/jetstream-unofficial-addon: jetstream-unofficial-addon (Version 0.1.2). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1196653
Planet-Batch-Slack-CLI,Samapriya Roy. (2017, December 4). samapriya/Planet-Batch-Slack-Pipeline-CLI: Planet-Batch-Slack-Pipeline-CLI (Version 0.1.4). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1079887
Articles, Blogposts and Publications
Roy, Samapriya, "Community Datasets in Google Earth Engine: An experiment", February 21st 2020, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "The Scoop on Planet Basemaps", Jan 9th 2020, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "All about that Base-map", 7th May 2019, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Demystifying Planet’s Command Line Tool", 20th March 2019, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Google Fusion Table Migration with & within Google Earth Engine", 28th January 2019, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "porder for Planet ordersv2: Cheat Sheet", 19th December 2018, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Order Up: Using and Building with Planet ’s new Ordersv2 API", 26th November 2018, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "From Analysis Ready Data to Analysis Engines and Everything in between", 7th November 2018, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Places, Planet & Earth Engine: Hacktober 2018", 17th October 2018, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Google Earth Engine Takeout: Tools and Guide for Code and Asset Transfer", 4th December 2017, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Talk Slack to Me: Integrating Planet and Slack API for Automation & Batch Notifications", 4th December 2017, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Baking API Clients in a Raspberry Pi: Planet and Earth Engine in a Box", 22nd November 2017, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Planet, People and Pixels: A Data Pipeline to link Planet API to Google Earth Engine", 10 July 2017, Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Clip and Ship: Batch Clips using Planet’s Clips API", 15 September 2017,Read Here
Roy, Samapriya, "Google Earth Engine Asset Manager and Addons: Building Tools of the Trade", 19 October 2017, Read Here
Invited Talks and Trainings
American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2018:Invited Talk: Sensor Fusion and Analysis Ready Data with the Planet Platform (WS32) December 9th 2018. Github Link
Stanford Big Earth Hackathon October 6-November 30, 2018 Invited talk how to download data from Planet data API and integration for local analysis and analysis in Google Earth Engine.Github Link
SatSummit September 19-20 2018: Hands-on Satellite Imagery Processing and Analysis at Scale. This was a hands-on introduction to Planet Data API and application within Google Earth Engine plus an introduction to Planet’s open data products and offerings.Github Link
Terra 2018 Pointcloud And Remote Sensing Workshop: Invited talk about Planet data, API mechanics and working with Planet Data inside Google Earth Engine. This was an online workshop along with Joseph Mascaro held at Ensenada, B.C.Github Link
NEON Data Institute 2018: Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows using Python: Invited talk about Planet data, API mechanics and working with Google Earth Engine. This was an online talk as I joined remotely with participants. Github Link
Stanford Big Earth Hackathon April 14-15th 2018, Stanford University: Invited to coordinate use of Planet data and API mechanics to formulate and work on Earth Sciences and big data problems with students as Developer advocate intern. Github Link
CSDMS 2018 Annual Meeting, May 22 -24th 2018, Boulder Colorado, USA: Organized Clinic Introduction to Google Earth Engine Github Link
American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2017: Invited Talk: Earth Science in Real Time with the Planet SmallSat Constellation. December 11-15th 2017
Conference presentations, Trainings and Attendance
Cyverse Container Camp 7th to 9th March: Container Technology for Scientific Research Introduction to Docker and Singularity images in High Performance Computing environments.
American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting 2017(AGU 2017) Spatial and Temporal Patterns of Land Loss in Mississipi River Delta. December 11-15th 2017. New Orleans, Louisiana
Polar Geospatial BootCamp 2017: Focus on looking at high resolution satellite data along with using stereoscopic method to create high resolution digital elevation model. August 7-10th 2017, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Google Earth Engine Summit 2017: Focus on methodology and large scale data analysis. Mountain View, California. June 12-14th 2017.
Indiana Geographic Information Council Conference 2017. Deep Time Stack Analysis of Coastal Land loss: Case Study of Mississippi Delta using Earth Engine. May 9-11th May 2017
Edmonds,Douglas A., Caldwell,Rebecca L., Baumgardner,Sarah, Paola,Chris, Roy ,Samapriya, Nelson,Amelia: A global analysis of human habitation on river deltas. European Geosciences Union General Assembly, Vienna, 23-28th April 2017
Roy, Samapriya., Edmonds, Douglas., Visualizing land loss across high spatio-temporal scales across Louisiana Coast, Planet Labs Headquarters December 2016.
Deltas Belmont Forum End of Project Meeting August 2016: Large Scale data analysis and visualization application to specific delta cases along with urban land cover change.
Google Earth Engine Summit 2016: Focus on methodology and large scale data analysis. Mountain View, California. June 13-16th 2016.
Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System (CSDMS) Annual Meeting, A Composite Vulnerability for Urban Areas in Deltaic Regions: An application in the Amazon Delta, Colorado. 17-19th May 2016.
Indiana Geographic Information Council Conference 2016. Locally & Globally Applied Classification Algorithms for Urban Land Cover Detection using Earth Engine. May 9-11th May 2016.
Summer Training at the United States Army Core of Engineers (USACE) and South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) joint Modeling Group (2015): South Florida Water Management Model, West Palm Beach, 26th July to 31st July 2015.
Roy, Samapriya (2015) Hydrological Modeling for studying impacts of Urbanization: A cross site assessment at Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System (CSDMS) Annual Meeting, Colorado. 26-28nd May 2015
Roy, Samapriya et.al (2015) Urban Watersheds and urbanizing hydrology: Assessment through dynamic modeling, Oral presentation at the Association of American Geographers(AAG) Annual Meeting, April 21-April 25th, 2015
Roy, Samapriya, Roy Chowdhury, Rinku and Ficklin, Darren (2015) Dynamic Hydrological Modeling using SWAT within Florida Coastal Everglades. Florida Coastal Everglades LTER Mid Term Review Meeting, March 11-13, 2015.
Roy, Samapriya, Darren L. Ficklin, Rinku Roy Chowdhury, Scott Robeson, Jarlath O Neil Dunn, James B Heffernan, Meredith K Steele, Peter M Groffman (2014) Dynamic Assessment of Urban Hydrologic Component using SWAT. International Long Term Ecological Research (ILTER): All Scientist Meeting of the Americas, Valdivia, Chile, December 1-3 , 2014
Field Research Experience
- Summer 2014 (05/15/2014-06/18/2014). Field research in Bangladesh: Conducted 140 household surveys, with data collection aimed at assessing socio-economic-political drivers of land use and livelihood vulnerability in 4 villages of the Sundarbans mangrove forest region.
Grants and Fellowship
- College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Student Travel Award for attending Google Earth Engine Summit 2017 $200 April 2017.
- Awarded the Graduate & Professional Student Government Travel Award for attending Google Earth Engine Summit 2017 $500 April 2017.
- Awarded the John Odland Graduate Research Fellowship to support graduate research $500 March 2017
- Awarded the Lester Spicer Department of Geography Poster Award Fellowship to support graduate research $250 March 2017
- Awarded the William R. Black Leadership Memorial Fellowship for $500 March 2017
- Co-PI on Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) Allocation Grant along with Douglas Edmonds for 50,000 Super-computing Units and 500 GB storage volume for project "Automated API based Pipeline for high volume satellite data", grant number TG-GEO160014 at Indiana University.
- Co PI on the Planet Labs Ambassador program providing us unprecedented daily satellite data for entire Louisiana coast an estimated value of over 40,000 square kilometer and estimated access to over 500,000 square kilometer daily (approximately) maximum access value considering RapidEye is (approx. 500,000 x $1.28/sqkm = $640,000)
- Digital Globe Imagery Grant for an area of over 1500 square kilometer (estimated value at $25,500) April 2016.
- Awarded the John Odland Graduate Research Fellowship to support graduate research $500 March 2016.
- Awarded the IndianaView Student Scholarship Program to participate and conduct research $750 March 2016
- Awarded the Partners of America (POA) 100,000 Strong award, for $1000 towards travel to the ILTER All Scientist Meeting of the Americas, Valdivia, Chile December 2014
- Awarded the ILTER Travel Award, for $500 towards travel to the ILTER All Scientist Meeting of the Americas, Valdivia, Chile December 2014
- Lead Instructor, G338: Introduction to Geographic Information Systems, Summer 2017, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Lead Instructor, G237: Mapping our World, Spring 2017, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Lead Instructor, G237: Mapping our World, Fall 2016, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Teaching Assistant, G237: Mapping our World, Spring 2016, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Lead Instructor, G237: Mapping our World, Fall 2015, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Guest Lecture I202 Lecture Topic: Spatial Epidemiology September 25th 2014 at Indiana University, Bloomington
- Teaching Assistant: Environmental Geology Course, G117 Spring 2013, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis
- Teaching Assistant: Environmental Geology Course, G117 Fall 2012, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis
- Teaching Assistant: Environmental Geology Course, G117 Spring 2012, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis
Memberships and committees
- Co-Chair for GIS Day Day at Bloomington, Indiana University, 2016
- College Committee on Graduate Education, Graduate Student Representative (2015-2016)
- Planning Committee for GIS Day at Bloomington, Indiana University 2015.
- Student Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 2008-present
- Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI) 2010-present
- Student Member, American Association of Geographer (AAG) 2014-present
Certifications and Trainings
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Human Research 2014
- Trimble Geospatial Training: eCognition- analysis strategies August 14th- 15th, 2014
Available on request.